Thursday, March 26, 2015

My Past

Death, thou art loosed!
My head is full
Of sounds of a shovel
Of sands shoved
Of rocks moved
Of ground punched
To sink a necessary grave-
Unnecessarily too often
Too close to the last
In too dry a ceremony.

The people I’ve buried
Graves I have filled
In song-less haste
In war’s pointless waste
Death is born.

I grope in the past
And my past is lonely and vast
Furnished with misery
Well washed with tears and worry
Ventilated by gusts of terror –
my past is packed to the ceiling with
memory upon memory
loss upon loss
too often in this war-
Stacked atop each as if
they were trophies.

My past is a place
famished then abandoned
By friends and the sun and the wind.

My past is this place I can’t leave
This home I return to
This prison that shadows me
No matter the borders I cross,
This windowless trap
This smothering grip,
This past so vast
Acres and acres of evil in my mind
Poisoning where I walk
What I think, who I meet-
poisoning.

My past is a memory
the smell of blood of kin
stinging pain of singed skin
the sound of a flaring flame
of a flame crack
the harrowing fall of my life.
 With my hands I remember
burying
people I had encountered
bodies I had entered
The hearts I had warmed
In the season of love bloomed,
Lips I’d tasted; the bonds now tested
By death broken, I buried.

I remember
That I have lost to soulless sands
To silent earth
To rocks that clatter,
then roll and settle
to graves that cover
my friends whose fatal
End is an endless bother
 that I couldn’t shrug at all -
this memory so lonely and vast
Is a grave that covers me
For since then, I've been dead
Though I walk-
Thought I walk.



2 comments: