Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Heaven and earth

I need to find love, to catch it and hoard,

To check-mate it like a king on a chessboard;

I need to fly blind like an arrow,

To free-fall for someone, like...oh,

Like the sun needs to rise tomorrow

 

I need to run crazy, look straight stupid.

Yet in that abandon find favour in cupid.

And I want, oh so much, to be found

Like a falling leaf needs the ground.

 

I want too to succeed, to lift my head above

Like the boldest bull in the herd;

In my time I want to have conquered

Popular opinion, fame and political love;

I crave to pause where I leave my mark

And like Ozymandias say, “Look on my work!”

 

I hope that in the cycle of time I have risen

From wherever my soul's been a denizen,

Through gleaming gold, dirty iron, forsaken earth;

That the past is punishment and this, my final birth.

I wish in time to run free- a spirit

Unbound in form and loving it,

I want to be with the best spirits I can find-

The high, the gentle, the forever kind.

 

But then stronger grows my hunger for money

I cheat and play low tricks on you daily, honey,

I kiss you with my lips and my hands pick your pocket;

I swindle and sell friendship for a one-way ticket!

 

Oh but I want it all- fame and fortune, peace and quiet,

To escape without a scrape and be the hero yet!

And like a camel's love for pasture here and heaven there

This relentless wanting wears my soul bare!


No comments:

Post a Comment